"I long to accomplish great and noble tasks, but my duty is to accomplish humble tasks as if they were great and noble."
--Helen Keller

"The miracle isn't that I finished.The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

-John Bingham

Friday, October 17, 2008

Motherhood: the ecstacy and the agony and the ectasy....

(What a rollercoaster!)

Yesterday morning I sat at the table eating my Life cereal (sometimes it's the only Life I get!) and watched as my two older kids scurried back and forth getting ready for the day and thought "you know, this motherhood thing is not SO bad."

Fast forward two hours......

I return from the bathroom at my great aunt's house after changing baby's horrible diaper to find that my 5 year old son is digging under her sofa cushions for loose change. Gasp! What are you doing??? I politely-- and quickly and forcefully and discreetly-- put an end to that practice.

Twenty minutes later this same son, holding the Nerf football that my aunt gave him, asks her in his "sad boy" voice: "Isn't there anything else you wanted to give me?" Blah! We had a serious and firm talk about manners and didn't we say before we even left the car that we would NOT ask for things when we got into the house???

The visit ended shortly after that.

Fast forward two more hours.......

My daughter bursts into tears and tells me that sometimes she feels like I don't trust her. Huh? Isn't she like three years too young for this accusation? Shouldn't she be a teen? What just happened? I listened to her through her sobbing and reassured her that I did do the right thing at the library regarding the Harry Potter tapes. Gak!

Motherhood. Sometimes it's a feeling of (in a voice that's a bit too high and fast): "I know why hamsters eat their young!!" or "I think strangers at a day care might do a better job raising these monsters today than I will" and occasionally it's a feeling of: "You know my children might not need as much counseling as I feared." :o)

You can love your children even as they are driving you completely out of your mind and you are seriously thinking about the benefits of a foreign boarding school (hee, hee- just kidding). But you can love them. But that doesn't make your job as a mother any easier.

Motherhood: it's a GREAT profession except for the kids. (ha!) ;oD

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh Sarah, Amen to that. It's so nice to have a friend that's honest about motherhood. I know people who seem never to talk about the difficulties of motherhood or that sometimes they think they might go insane. This makes me feel awful and like something is wrong with me for feeling like this. Then I read your blog, and the world is righted again. :-) Thanks

Sarah said...

It helps to be honest! I love my kids, but they do drive me nutty! I can recommend some "perfect world" blogs for you where NOTHING goes wrong. They have a tendency to make you feel really crummy. Glad I don't have that effect.

Alice said...

I like to remind myself that most people in the world turned out okay. And lots of them had crazy parents, so maybe my kids will turn out okay. (maybe they won't turn out the way I think I want them to be, but that's okay too.)